CASE ALERT: Allergan Biocell Textured Breast Implant Lawsuits
ASK attorneys are currently investigating claims of a possible association between Allergan Biocell® textured breast implants and increased risks of breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL).
If you or a loved one received an Allergan Biocell® implant or tissue expander, call ASK LLP today at 1-877-746-4275 (1-877 RING ASK) for a free case evaluation.
What We Know About Allergan Biocell® Textured Implants
On July 24, 2019, at the FDA’s urging, Allergan issued a worldwide recall of all its Biocell® textured breast implants and tissue expanders after data linked the devices to BIA-ALCL – a cancer of the immune system. The recalled implants have been on the market for over 25 years. The recalled implants were previously sold by the McGhan Corporation and Allergan purchased McGhan’s parent company Inamed in 2006.
The following products were part of the FDA recall:
- Natrelle Saline-Filled breast implants
- Natrelle Silicone-Filled breast implants
- Natrelle Inspira Silicone-Filled breast implants
- Natrelle 410 Highly Cohesive Anatomically Shaped Silicone-Filled breast implants
- Natrelle 133 Plus tissue expander
- Natrelle 133 tissue expander with suture tabs
BIA-ALCL is not breast cancer. It is a rare form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The disease is caused by the mutation of a specific gene which causes T-cells to produce excess amounts of a protein known as anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK1). If detected early, BIA-ALCL can often be successfully treated by removal of the implant and surrounding scar tissue. However, ALCL can metastasize to other parts of the body and treatment with chemotherapy and radiation may be required. BIA-ALCL is typically found in the scar tissue and fluid near the implant.
Symptoms of BIA-ALCL:
- Build-up of fluid in the breast (seroma)
- Capsular contracture
- Hardening of or mass around the breast implant
- Fluid buildup
- Generalized fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Lumps next to the surface of the implant or in the lymph node in the armpit
- Night sweats
- Noticeable swelling in the lymph nodes (for example, the armpit or neck)
- Pain in the area around the breast implant
Large groups of cases are occasionally consolidated in Multi-District Litigation (MDL), a process that combines cases in federal court for discovery purposes. In December 2019, an MDL was established for Allergan textured breast implants in federal court in New Jersey (In re: Allergan Biocell Textured Breast Implant Product Liability Litigation, No. 2:19-md-02921, MDL No. 2921 (D.N.J.)). As of February 2021, more than 500 lawsuits were pending in the MDL.
If you currently have Biocell® textured breast implants, a summary of the FDA guidance is as follows:
- Do not have the textured breast implant removed if you are not experiencing symptoms of BIA-ALCL;
- Be aware of the symptoms of BIA-ALCL and consistently monitor for symptoms;
- If you are experiencing symptoms, see your doctor; and/or
- Patients who are diagnosed with BIA-ALCL should have their textured breast implants removed and undergo surgery to remove the surrounding scar tissue;
- Keep a record of the device manufacturer, unique device identifier, and implant model name.
Recoverable Compensation in an Allergan Biocell® Textured Lawsuit
If you or a loved one have, or have had, the recalled Allergan Biocell® textured breast implants or tissue expanders, you may be eligible to participate in a lawsuit against Allergan, a company that manufacturers the breast implants that were subject to the July 2019 recall.
We are accepting cases from (1) women who still have the recalled Allergan implants in place and are concerned about future complications and risks associated with BIA-ALCL or NHL (2) women who have already been diagnosed with BIA-ALCL or NHL arising from the Allergan Biocell® implants, and (3) women that have had the Allergan Biocell® implants removed.
If you hire ASK LLP, we may seek the following damages for you:
- Expenses associated with the removal of the recalled textured breast implants, surgical and diagnostic fees, and cost of replacement breast implants
- Lost wages resulting from removal of breast implants
- Medical monitoring and diagnostic procedures required as a result of exposure to the increased risk of contracting BIA-ALCL
- Past and future loss of earning capacity
- Past and future loss of enjoyment of life
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, if appropriate
CALL TODAY! If you believe you have been harmed or injured by Allergan’s Biocell® textured breast implants or tissue expanders, or have been experiencing side effects of any kind, call ASK LLP at 1-877-746-4275 (1-877 RING ASK) for a free case evaluation. Women who have BIA-ALCL, as well as all women that have had recalled Allergan implants removed, may be eligible for significant compensation.
Why You Should Choose ASK LLP
When you get hurt after using a medical device, you may not know what to do. After all, the medical device industry is a large and powerful one. We are here to help. Our experienced legal team has a strong track record of fighting—and winning—medical device cases. If you hire us, know that we will fight tirelessly to get you the best possible result.