Our team of attorneys is currently investigating claims that onions produced and distributed by Thomson International Inc. were the potential source of a Salmonella Newport outbreak.
Did you consume onions between May and August 2020 and suffer foodborne illness symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and fever? Call ASK LLP today at (877) RING ASK (877-746-4275) for a free case evaluation.
What We Know About the Onion Outbreak
According to the CDC, there are 1,127 reported illnesses from 48 states related to this outbreak in the United States and 167 people have been hospitalized. There are also illnesses reported in Canada. The CDC advises that all recalled onions and products should be thrown away.
Most people infected with Salmonella develop symptoms which include:
- Stomach cramps
Most illnesses occur within 6 hours to 6 days after eating the contaminated food and most people remain ill for 4 to 7 days. People that have underlying GI issues may be affected more severely, as well as immunocompromised and elderly people.
What We Know About the Onion Recall
White, yellow, sweet yellow and red onions were recalled by Thomson International Inc. of Bakersfield, California on August 1, 2020. The onions were shipped to retailers between May 1, 2020 and August 1, 2020. Thomson distributed onions to wholesalers, restaurants and retail stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Canada.
The onions were sold in 5 lbs. cartons, 10 lbs. cartons, 25 lbs. cartons, 40 lbs. cartons, 50 lbs. cartons, bulk, 2 lb. mesh sacks, 3 lb. mesh sacks, 5 lb. mesh sacks, 10 lb. mesh sacks, 25 lbs. mesh sacks, and 50 lbs. mesh sacks under the brand names Thomson Premium, TLC Thomson International, Tender Loving Care, El Competitor, Hartley’s Best, Onions 52, Majestic, Imperial Fresh, Kroger, Utah Onions, and Food Lion.
Bulk onions were also sold at:
- Aldi in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas
- Food Lion
- Giant Eagle in Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia
- Hello Fresh
- Imperfect Foods
- Publix Super Markets in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia
- Ralph’s in California
- Trader Joe’s in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah
Prepared foods that contained the recalled onions were also recalled, such as:
- Cheese dips and spreads from Fred Meyer, Fry’s Food Stores, Kroger, Kroger Delta Division, Kroger Mid-Atlantic, and Smith’s
- Chicken salads, salads, subs, pizzas, salsas, and a variety of other foods from Giant Eagle
- Kabob kit, corn cob kabob, grilled vegetable with mushrooms, stir fry blend, white mushroom kabob, and diced red onions from Giant Food and Stop and Shop
- chicken salad sandwiches, macaroni salad, and pasta salad under the Taylor Farms brand at Kroger
- Salsa and salsa verde from Spokane Produce
- Diced yellow onions, diced mirepoix, fajita stir fry trays, and chicken salad sandwiches under the Taylor Farms brand at Walmart
- Jarred diced ham from Amana Meat Shop and Smokehouse
- Prepared foods like breakfast scramble bowls and snack trays from Taylor Farms
These lawsuits are not part of a class action or multi-district litigation (MDL). Each case is unique and remains separate from other cases. The statute of limitations to sue may be only one or two years after the purchase or consumption of the recalled onions, so we urge victims to seek legal counsel immediately. We are demanding that the food production companies reimburse our clients for their doctor’s bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Why You Should Choose ASK LLP
When you get hurt after eating a food contaminated with a bacteria or other pathogen, you may not know what to do. After all, the food production industry is a large and powerful one. We are here to help. Our experienced legal team has a strong track record of fighting—and winning— against big food production companies. We have already successfully represented clients who were injured by contaminated foods. If you hire us, know that we will fight tirelessly to get you the best possible result.